Alevai

Wednesday, February 01, 2006
  Alevai -- Chapter Six

Chapter Six…

Caitlen paced her small cell. She usually spent much of her day pacing, as there was really nothing else to do. She heard running footsteps in the hall outside her cell. She went to the door and peered out. She could hear two of the guards speaking just outside her cell.

“Similitude, why do you run so?” asked Epik, the guard who normally protected this hallway.

“I have news,” Similitude answered.

“So, tell me this news that brings you so far from your post.”

“The queen has sent for Foyln,” Similitude replied.

“Foyln? Why? Has something happened?”

“The portal has been opened.”

‘Opened!’ Caitlen thought. ‘Perhaps this will mean I can go home.’ Even though it had been years since she had been home, she could still smell her grandmother’s cooking and she could see the fields of corn. Every night, she would dream that she was back on her grandparents’ farm, running through the corn fields or hiding in the hay loft. Every morning, she awoke in the dungeon and her heart would sink, as she realized this cell was her home.

“I wonder what this means.” Epik said.

“I do not know, but there is talk that a child and a dog came through the portal. They were seen by Poshet.”

“A child and a dog? What an unlikely pairing. Perhaps,” Epik lowered his voice to a whisper and Caitlen had to strain her ears to hear. “Perhaps, the queen will be overthrown.”

“Epik, do not talk that way! We could be overheard. It is not safe to speak of such things while we are in the castle.”

“Similitude, do not be so fearful. Everyone knows that Queen Elva is evil and she is ruling on a throne that does not truly belong to her.”

“Maybe so, but she is the queen and we must honor her. We must remain faithful, even when we disagree.”

“Similitude, you go on and remain faithful. I will choose to speak my mind.” He paused. “I do not believe that this one show be kept locked up. She should be allowed to go free. Maybe, her people have finally come to claim her.”

“Maybe so, Epik, maybe so, but if that is the case then we must be on guard even more to protect our queen.”

“You may protect the queen, Similitude; I will join in the fight to put the rightful queen on the throne. I am weary of living in fear and hiding my head. I have no children and no wife. There is no reason for me to continue to serve a queen in whom I do not believe.”

“Epik, you should save your judgment until we know more of what is to happen. Perhaps, I would join the rightful side. For now, keep an extra watch on the prisoner.”

The two men saluted and Similitude walked away. Epik watched Similitude turn the corner at the end of the dark hall way. Then, he peered into Caitlen’s cell.

“Did you hear that, mi lady?”

“Yes, Epik, I did. What do you think this means?”

“I think it means that a new queen is to be chosen. Otherwise, how would the portal open?” Epik glanced around to be sure he would not be overheard. “Stay alert, mi lady, for I will try to free you soon.”

“Thank you, Epik. I long to be free of this dungeon.”

“After my watch is over, I will see what I might learn of this girl and her dog.”

“Be careful, Epik. You are the only companion I have.”

“I will remain vigilant and careful, mi lady. I will not fail you again.”

Caitlen caught her breath. Epik always spoke like this to her and yet, she knew that he had been a boy himself when she had been captured. He had just begun his apprenticeship to the castle guards at the young age of 13. Still, he felt guilty for not being able to stop her capture.

Epik would have joined with the wizards and soldiers who had risen up against Queen Elva, except he worried what would become of Caitlen. Instead he stayed on the castle guard and worked his way into being the one guard who was able to spend the most time with Caitlen. His devotion to the young girl moved from brotherly interest to an innocent love as the years went by. Now, Epik was a man of thirty three and, yet, he did not allow himself to marry, so that he may remain free for Caitlen. His only hope was that Caitlen would be able to return the affection that he felt.

***

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Subscribe to Alevai and get new chapters right in your Emailbox!
Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Hi and welcome to my story blog, Alevai.


Here, you will learn about the adventures of Elizabeth, Madison and Becca who, along with their trusted American Eskimo Dog, Sky, journey to the land of Alevai.
This site is updated with a new chapter each week.
I encourage you to leave your comments. Please remember when leaving your comments, that this site is child friendly.
Enjoy your stay in Alevai.

Blessings,

Julie

Check Out The Headlines at:
Eskie Lover

ARCHIVES
10/2005 / 11/2005 / 12/2005 / 01/2006 / 02/2006 / 05/2006 / 09/2006 / 11/2006 /

The Story so far...

Web Comics

More blogs about alevai.

Powered by Blogger